Monday, December 31, 2012

Reflexionem Super Annum

Well, well, well... it's been awhile, Blog. Sorry about that...life has been kind of a whirl wind (as usual). So let me catch you up with a brief paragraph then we can dive into the purpose of this post.

Isn't that how we usually do things anyhow?

To begin, I ended up working at a high school all semester with students who had disabilities as a personal aid. My student had autism and a mental disorder, but was very high functioning and self aware. Even though that job tested my nerves on many occasions, the lessons I learned from him, as well as my co-workers and other students, really made a difference in my life and my future career. I am now done working there because I OFFICIALLY start nursing school January 14th! FINALLY! I have jumped through many hoops and have flown by the seat of my pants...but I made it. My mother is also cancer free! And my best friend's mom is as well! That's about all of the news I have from the last few weeks...

Oh! And I moved. I have a lovely two bedroom apartment that actually allows cats. So that's an upgrade from living with my dad and dealing with that drama on a daily basis!

Now to the purpose of this post.... a "Reflection on the Year", as I fondly called my title in Latin.

2012. Definitely not the year I expected it to be... Last New Year's Eve I rang in the New Year with strangers and friends and copious amounts of champagne. I said to myself that this would be the best year... and it was...but it also came with some sadness.

This year I had moved into my apartment in Brookings, picked myself up and furnished my place, waitressed my ever loving ass off, and fell in love with a man who became my best friend, and my biggest heart ache later on in the year. I traveled some, learned I liked scotch on the rocks and Harleys, and survived many a stupid antic while drinking. I moved three times in total, switched schools, switched jobs four times (due to the moves and seasonal nature of the jobs), and met many incredible people. I also cut some toxic people out of my life.

Many smiles, many tears, and joy and stress came out of this year. I feel like despite all of the crap that happened, that the good and time alone really made me grow the most I ever have in my adult life.

So for the upcoming 2013 year, that I am grateful to be experiencing, I will not make a resolution list. I will make a commitment to be healthy and look at the good things in my life. I am embracing the joys of the good things to come with my school, and am excited to see who else I will meet in this year. As cliché as it sounds, everything happens for a reason. I am sad and excited to see this year go, and to move one step closer to the person I want to become both in mind and body. 

Happy New Year to you all, and may you have a lovely and healthy and happy 2013! 

No comments:

Post a Comment